PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly

SecretScribe
08-23-2007, 08:15 PM
freedom's "A Letter to my Father" put me in mind of one I wrote quite a while back for a friend who had lost a loved one. Only later did I realize I'd been speaking to my own father as well ...

Suddenly

Suddenly they are gone,
A hole in our lives.
We thought we knew where they fit,
How our lives were knit …
Suddenly they are gone.

Loved beyond measure …
They just were.
Always there, always loved.
A dependable fact of our lives.
Loved beyond measure …

Where did they go?
Why? Why are they gone?
The answer is hidden.
Tears well unbidden.
Where did they go?

The love remains.
Of those we took for granted.
Never thought they would leave.
Could not bear to perceive.
The love remains.

I never said goodbye
Never thought I needed to
Now you are gone
I hide from the dawn.
I never said goodbye.

I love you.
I never said it enough.
Can’t believe you have left.
This sudden theft …
I love you.

I will never know
Your final thoughts.
What were our final words?
Now always unheard …
I will never know.

wizardwriter
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
nice job, I'm sure he felt the same for you

davesmistress
08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Thats wonderful....Makes me miss my Grandma.....Thanks...:)

Badlybent
08-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks. I lost a friend last month. He wasn't a close friend just someone I shot the shit with and ate dinner with now and then. Then, Puff, he was just gone. The last I saw him, he patted me on the back and said he'd see me the next Friday for dinner. The next day his wife called to say he had a heart attack and died in minutes. It feels strange. Thanks.

SecretScribe
08-24-2007, 04:06 AM
I am glad if this poem (or any I write for that matter) helps or makes someone feel good (or feel anything that pleases them). Sometimes I get very lucky and strike the words or a thought that others value, or find a poem that speaks or enlarges on my own feelings in some way.

I'm pretty sure all writers like "strokes" (how many humans don't?) ... but I'm also pretty sure that most of them (certainly myself) feel best when they think that their work will have value to others beyond mere entertainment. This was one of those for me ... and probably one of only 3 or 4 that I found spoke more to me afterward, when I came back to it, than when I wrote it.

I am so happy to have found freedom's poem as a companion piece for the same thoughts in my mind.

freedom
08-24-2007, 07:21 AM
SS...I can't express what this poem brings to my heart. I'm glad I gave you some inspiration and touched you with my poem. Just know that yours touched me in return.