PDA

View Full Version : My First Experience with Erotic Literature

Brigit Astar
06-27-2010, 01:47 AM
By the time I was sixteen I had read a number of books that had erotic elements in them, but I had not read any thing that I would consider erotic literature. Then, I came across a curious work with the curious title "Pleasures and Follies of a Good-Natured Libertine" with the sub-title "Anti-Justine." And my eyes were opened, as the old saying goes. "Pleasures and Follies" influenced me so much in my writing. It still remains the best erotic work I have ever read. The strange thing about it is that the book was written more than two hundred years ago. When I first read it, the language of the writer and the setting and time of the novel made me think that--wow, this writer can really write. I didn't know anything about the writer, but I assumed that he was still living, and had written a novel of the past. I learned that Bretonne--the author of the novel--had lived in the eighteenth century and had written "Pleasures and Follies" in the midst of the French Revolution. I also learned that "Pleasures and Follies" is the first modern literary work of erotica. I have read the novel four times. Each time I read it, my admiration for Bretonne grows. For what he did was to write the first modern, "realistic" erotic novel. In a sense, Bretonne created modern, natural, realistic erotic literature. He was the father of erotic literature.

mythical
07-19-2010, 04:09 PM
two books i liked very much

The Pearl
London 1879

and a bit more modern would be the erotic stories from Anais nin (Delta of venus and Little birds)

Brigit Astar
07-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm trying to get parts of The Pearl transcribed to this forum.