PDA

View Full Version : Literary Theft

Brigit Astar
11-01-2010, 06:24 AM
After posting numerous stories on the net and having a number of them stolen and posted without my knowledge or permission under someone else's name, I've come to the conclusion that there is little the author can do. Copyright means nothing on the net. I suppose one could hire a lawyer and go after the literary thief but that would cost time, effort, and money. Reporting the thief does little. I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of literary thieves on the net who possess no sense of ethics when it comes to stories. They treat everything posted on the net as fair game, to treat as their own, without regard to the author. I will probably not post any more stories on the net, as the situation being what it is, I am more or less giving up any control over my stories once I post them.

niteowluk2003
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I totally agree, that literay theft of any discription is the lowest of the low. I do however wonder how many of these literay thiefs would appreciate it if they were on the receiving end of having their pride and joy stolen and abused as they seem so willingly to do to other peoples work. I appreciate that there is not a lot sites can do to check the authenticity of the authors claims, but some do not even care and using inter site sublinks seem to think that you posting a story on one site means they can link it to their own site without consent. I long ago tried everything short of legal action to recoup the credit for my own work but found that sites hide behind anonymity codes and clauses and often will not divulge the posters details when challenge about the claimed authors right to post a particular story.

niteowluk2003
11-01-2010, 09:07 PM
The problem is not recognising your own work, it is the fact that other people claim to be you, the author/authoress and deem your hard work as their own. I recently persuaded another web site to remove 11 storiies posted by someone using the user name of niteowluk2003. the stories were my work from years ago and i could prove that by the date stamp the microsoft word puts on new documents. the website in question did inform me that they had banned the poster for plagerism, but it will still happen while ever there are new story sites appearing and will let someone register with what they believe to be a genuine legitimate user name. Personally I have adopted the policy now of making a sessional dvd which contains my stories and post dates their creation, thus if I come across my stories on other sites I can prove my ownership by date documents are produced.

Brigit Astar
11-03-2010, 02:57 AM
that's a good idea

niteowluk2003
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Somone said that copying is the best form of flattery, whilst I agree that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, however it is definately not flattering to have your hard work passed off as someone else's efforts, nor is it flattering when some half wit who could possibly only just about write his name gets the credit and applause for something you gave birth to. Just imagine if a total stranger suddenly claimed your child as their own and all that goes with it.

tsunami
03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
As I lost all of my children, my stories are my children. As opposed to what happens with children, who simply age, my stories are constantly being revised and rejuvinated. Inevitably, anything that is stolen will be a castoff because it will have been updated. It is a secret pleasure to think that a thief won't have the best. I think too that the overt sex stories will be most likely to be stolen and I don't write these- I write stories with plot and the sex has lots of context. I believe these stories are more memorable and less easily stolen successfully. I believe that in time good sites on the net will have facillities to detect plaguarism such as are used by universities now. It will be then that plaguarism will become very difficult.

LittleOldMe
04-19-2011, 01:27 AM
There are specific steps to take to act on copyright infringement. Not hard to do and sites will readily take down posts, under penalty of being shut down themselves. It doesn't take a lawyer and $$, you just have to know about the infringement.

Brigit Astar
04-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Tell that to Literotica. Literotica couldn't care less about supposed threats of lawsuits or copyright infringment. Literotica knows that 99% of writers will do nothing if their work is stolen, plagerized or passed off as someone else's work. In my opinion, Literotica is the lowest of the low, because they simply don't care.

niteowluk2003
04-21-2011, 07:17 AM
I have to agree with Brigit that the named site has a very bad reputation not only for plagerism but also for allowing offensive personal remarks without the facility or right of retraction.

Fix'm
05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi, I am a relatively new writer having just really started writing erotic literature and frankly the idea of someone stealing what I have written bothers the hell out of me. I do like the suggestion of burning a copy of my stories to disk to prove ownership since a lot of what I am writing is rather lengthy (my current story will likely surpass 175,000 words by the time I am done). While I certainly do enjoy the short fuck & suck stories I am not real great at writing them as I believe that a story has to have more to it that just a superficial plot with characters having no more depth than a sheet of paper. I came to this site on the recommendation of a friend from another site who said that this one (eroticxxxstories.com) was a much more friendly and civilized place and so far I have not found him to be wrong. Another suggestion for proving ownership, abet one a bit more time consuming is to print off your stories with a time/date stamp and mail them to yourself. When you receive it back in the mail mark the contents on the outside of the envelope and stick it in a file. This process worked well for me when a partner and I had written a game and an individual we had approached for financing it tried to steal our idea and capitalize on it. By virtue of that sealed and date stamped envelope we were able to prove in court that he had stolen the idea and we were able to regain control over the rights to the game (which we subsequently sold for a tidy sum). There is much I still do not know about publishing my work on this site, but as soon as I have answered some of the questions I have and I am more comfortable maneuvering around here I will. -- THX - Fix'm

Brigit Astar
05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
And you had to spend the time and effort and money to go to court, and what did you gain by doing so? Proof that the work was yours. Am I right in saying that nothing happened to the literary thief for stealing your work? There is little if any punishment for literary thieves on the internet. At the most, they get a slap on the wrist. What pisses me off more than anythig is sites that condone or ignore literary theft--sites such as Literotica.

Fix'm
05-04-2011, 07:26 AM
And you had to spend the time and effort and money to go to court, and what did you gain by doing so? Proof that the work was yours. Am I right in saying that nothing happened to the literary thief for stealing your work? There is little if any punishment for literary thieves on the internet. At the most, they get a slap on the wrist. What pisses me off more than anythig is sites that condone or ignore literary theft--sites such as Literotica.

Actually Brigit (hope you don't mind my calling you that) the thief had to pay all court costs and after the work was conclusively proven to be ours we sued him for loss of income and won that one as well. The settlement wasn't large, but that wasn't the point - it was the principle that mattered to both of us and as I said previously we did end up selling the game to the same people who were going to buy it from the thief and who, when they learned of the legal ownership challenge backed out of the deal with the thief.

The problem, as I see it, is that far too many people aren't willing to take the necessary steps to protect what is theirs and when something is stolen from them are unwilling to go after the thief. I am retired military (32 years USMC) and I have little patience (read none) and zero tolerance for someone who tries to claim my work as their own. I will take whatever steps, regardless of cost, time, or inconvenience, necessary to make sure that my work is returned and that individual strongly discouraged from trying something like that ever again.

I agree that there is little, if any, recourse for the author if their work is stolen, but I believe that part of the solution had to deal with educating those that would profit from it by selling the story the major problem is the stigma attached to this genre and I haven't figured out a way to work around that as of yet.

I don't know what can be done short of making it either extremely difficult or impossible for anyone to either copy or download a story once it has been posted to a specific website without a very specific and complex key or computer algorithm - this would include taking screen shots. This is a programming problem and shouldn't be all that difficult to figure out - maybe some of the other readers can figure out how to do this or something similar. It sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

The reasons you gave are why I will have nothing to do with Literotica - I don't even visit their site.

Go4it
07-19-2011, 03:33 AM
Not sure I am exactly sure what all is included in "literary theft". I think my question involves the definition of literary. What constitutes literary. While it is obvious that when someone writes chapter 1, chapter 2, etc, etc that it is a story. But what about when someone just writes something about an experience which is fun to tell and fun to read? And it was written just for a limited few for entertaining them while telling a story about something that happened to you? It's certainly not literature. The writer certainly didn't write it in that vain? It wasn't read as literature. It was written and read about what happened in a real life situation. If I reproduced it here without the writers consent is that literary theft? I think I will post one of those stories and have you tell me if I have performed literary theft. Back later!!! :)

niteowluk2003
07-19-2011, 06:55 AM
I think literary actually means something written down and of your own mind transposed into words for what ever reason, the thesaurus defines it as 'relating to literature, writing, or the study of literature' so in this definition even a poem is literary as it is writing. hope this helps clear any misunderstanding.

It would only be literary theft if you claim that something someone else wrote was your own written work, if some one told you the story and you transcribed it then it is still your own work because they may not have written it the way you did.

See it is as clear as MUD.....lol

Brigit Astar
07-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Literary theft is when someone steals a literary work--which includes any written or electronic work--and claims it as their own.

Go4it
07-20-2011, 12:58 AM
So it seems you are basing the definition in the "claiming it as their own". If I steal your story and post it on another web site and say "it's not mine" is that different from posting it and saying "I don't know who wrote it" and different yet again from "it's brigit"s"? In any event ON THAT WEB SITE I get the credit for posting the story. People appreciate the fact you posted it -- not that you wrote it. On the internet that is somewhat different cause it's free to post versus the real world where is costs $ to put it into publication.

But sadly enough no one has read/commented on "my" "posted" story

Brigit Astar
07-20-2011, 06:33 AM
"Claims it as their own" means the thief has posted the story with his or her name as the author.

niteowluk2003
07-20-2011, 07:07 AM
We have a section on this website called 'From the net' which is a forum for stories you found on the net and liked enough to share on here and we automatically accept that as poster you were not the writer. However the same assumption does not apply on the other forums. So it would be easy to pass off someone else's hard work as your own as only the real author would recognise their work so the chances of discovery remains slight.

Charmbrights
09-17-2011, 10:22 AM
So it seems you are basing the definition in the "claiming it as their own". ...Precisely - that is breach of copyright in any country signatory to the Berne Convention.

... If I steal your story and post it on another web site and say "it's not mine" is that different from posting it and saying "I don't know who wrote it" and different yet again from "it's brigit"s"? In any event ON THAT WEB SITE I get the credit for posting the story. People appreciate the fact you posted it -- not that you wrote it. ...Yes, but only marginally, unless you asked permission first. The law has not kept pace with the internet (Surprise, surprise!) and this is also technically a breach of copyright, though it might be very difficult to prove "loss".

... On the internet that is somewhat different cause it's free to post versus the real world where is costs $ to put it into publication. ...It isn't always free to the end user, and it may involve payment to the author. I have a number of novels on a site which will charge you to download them, and does pay me a royalty. If you take one of those novels and put it on a free site, I can prove how many people read it for free, and my "loss" is that number multiplied by my per copy royalties, irrespective of whether they would have paid or not. On some sites that could run into tens of thousands of free readers, and my royalties could well be more than two UK pounds ($3) per copy, so it could be well worth my while taking you to court if I think you have the money to pay the damages and legal costs.

DeniseRoyce
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
I've heard that some places like fictionmania will check out claims of plagerism and act on them. The problem with most free sights is the quality of the writing is usually pretty bad. I've finally started going to Kindle erotica because the quality tends to be better for two reasons. Readers actually rate the stories and if a story is really bad you can get refunded!!! There are some super hot shemale stores on Kindle including forced femme and prostitution and even incest.

muhabba
07-05-2012, 02:20 AM
I've had a couple of stories stolen by someone and posted on a site (but being a new writer i feel it to be cool that somebody liked my story enough to steal it). I just posted in the comments section that it was mine and posted the link to the site I originally posted the story on. I wrote the to the admin, told them what was up and they banned the user and posted my name on the story.

niteowluk2003
07-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah some reputable sites take prompt action when notified; unfortunately not all story sites care where the story originated they are just after the story numbers to attract new customers.

Brigit Astar
07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
That's one of the reasons I cut off AOL. My stories were being stolen and placed on AOL under another person's name. AOLs attitude was like this: "Why are you so upset. Are you sure you wrote the stories in question. Maybe the person posting them made an honest mistake. Chill out."
I quickly disconnected myself from AOL and dared them to bill me.

DeniseRoyce
07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Immitation may be best form of flattery but if a writer has pored many hours into writing then I can see how he'd be upset. Again thats why I like Kindle erotica. If I know a story is a ripoff I can get a refund. The same is true if its really badly written. A bad writer doesn't get to steal my time and my money!!!

niteowluk2003
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
While I agree that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... by its very nature imitation is copying not stealing and writer's good or bad should not have their hard work ripped off by some one who cannot string two sentences together for themselves... Most of us writers do it for the love of writing and storytelling not for profit, so it would be unusual for any of my stories to be on Kindle erotica and I have written over 150 such stories and if you include the multi chapters I have easily written over 500 chapters so why should someone else have the right to pass off any of those works as their own when I have literally devoted many many months to writing them.

DeniseRoyce
07-06-2012, 12:47 AM
I have read some of your stories and what Ive seen is far better than some of the crap aparently making money at Kindle erotica. Im not much of a writer or have a lot of time too write but if I did I might try to make some $$$ off at least ome of it. Beside it would maybe force some of those kindle writers to do a better job!!! To be fair I have read some really excellent stories their to and a few of the writers Ill read anything they put out because I know it will be super hot and satisfying and not like someone putting up there crap just to rip off customers.

Brigit Astar
07-20-2012, 11:28 PM
After having several stories of mine stolen and posted on other sites under another's name, and after experiencing the response of the sites where the stories appeared, I can only say this: Don't post anything that you would not want posted on another site under another's name. It sucks, but that's the way it is. There are a lot of people on these sites who have no scruples whatsoever when it comes to the writing of stories or who the author is. They will steal at a moment's notice, and there's really little the writer can do about it.

crzy67
09-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Brigit, I know just how you feel. As an artist, I have been ripped off as well. In the 80's and 90's, I published my own music magazine. It included border art that I did myself. In no time, many other magazine editors were using my ideas, and even ripped off my work to use in their zines. I have had my paintings ripped off and my writings too. It seems that few are able to come up with their own ideas any more. I would be very rich if I had money for every time that I have been stolen from.

Brigit Astar
09-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Music is another "department" of art that's being heartlessly ripped off. Creativity in general is being affected in ways we probably can't even comprehend yet. I know that my attitude now is that anything I write or publish on the net is fair game for thieves and there's little I can do about it.

niteowluk2003
09-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Not wanting to add fuel to the fire but they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery WELL when some one uses my story as their own its not Flattery it is THEFT pure and simple.

kaidman
10-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Tell that to Literotica. Literotica couldn't care less about supposed threats of lawsuits or copyright infringment. Literotica knows that 99% of writers will do nothing if their work is stolen, plagerized or passed off as someone else's work. In my opinion, Literotica is the lowest of the low, because they simply don't care.

I agree Brigit I was on literotica and they just about lynched this member for adding a story that had beastiality in it which is funny because they don't allow such things so he substituted dog for alien but it was obvious what he ment I gave that member a pm telling him he didn't deserve to be treated that way and invited him to ssp I also saw this one member called ovar post a story that was word for word the same one as another member there and that guy was flamed a ton and reported so it looks like the masses of ignorant trolls only care for certain members however if anymore of your stories are posted somewhere I will go there and hound that person until they are punished

muhabba
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
I've posted a few stories on Literotica. But I deal in mostly Celeb and parody and they have such touchy rules there that most of my stories don't get accepted.

niteowluk2003
11-01-2012, 07:03 AM
My worst case of having a story stolen was when I suddenly got a email from a friend saying he had seen several of my stories on another website. I went to the website and sure enough eight of my stories were there. I emailed the webmaster and was told point blank that I had affliated my stories to them from another site. wehen I asked which site he could not tell me and it was not until I threatened to contact google and some of the other really big search engines about his site did he agree to remove them. however three months later they were back only this time they actually bore my name and due credit was given.

muhabba
11-01-2012, 10:18 AM
I just found a story of mu thiefed on another site. Guy had changed my name to Mohammed & posted it under that. I thanked everyone for their nice comments. Wonder if anyone will comment about my comment.